Monday, June 13, 2011

Mini Cocoa-Nut Cookies


To satisfy my chocolate craving, I'm making some tiny chocolatey treats. Size doesn't matter in this dessert, as I'm following my own rule of making sure I get to eat more of one of something--for the same amount of points as a big Costco cookie I can have 8 of these cookies. They are super quick. The trick to good cookies (and most baking) is to be very meticulous in your measurements and to keep wet ingredients together and dry ingredients together until right before you are going to bake. This keeps them from getting tough. Another thing about cookies, they are usually done before they look like they are done...
Here they are:
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
3 oz. mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 oz. sliced almonds

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream together wet ingredients (sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, cocoa powder, canola oil, applesauce) until well mixed. In a seperate bowl, combine or sift together dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda). Mix dry into wet gently and add chocolate chips. Take the smallest spoons you have (I use two demi-tasse spoons) and place evenly onto a greased cookie sheet or parchment. Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly on top of each cookie.

It takes me two cookie sheets with parchment and I can get about 50-60 mini cookies. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Make sure edges and bottoms of cookies are golden brown.


Enjoy!

No comments: