Monday, June 13, 2011

Stuck


Have you ever tried to put a lean cuisine on a real plate? If you haven't, I don't recommend you do it without some caution, for you will feel like you were handed a kiddie meal at some unfortunate casual dining restaurant. I found myself in this situation today, but luckily found some help...but let me back up a little.
I had every intention to empty my pantry since the last week of school (read-grades due, major anxiety attacks) prevented me from doing any grocery shopping, until I realized I didn't even have an onion to chop, which was essential to my black bean preparation. Alas, I moved on. I found a frozen meal in the back of the freezer. To save money *and time during the school year* I wait for stores to put frozen food on sale and then stock up. A couple of months ago, Target had a deal where you bought 5 Smart Ones meals for $10, plus you received a five dollar gift card for purchasing ten of them. So each of them worked out to be about a dollar apiece, which was a pretty sweet deal and needless to say, I bought them out. So I ran to my freezer to help me today and put my microwave to use. However, I am never quite satisfied by most of these meals, so here is my quick fix:

I take one of the vegetables (or a blend, if it works flavor-wise) that the meal features and add at least a half-pound of it frozen to bulk it up. Today I took out a bag of organic frozen broccoli florets and microwaved them. I highly suggest doing this in a tall container, like a glass measuring cup, so the vegetables do not sit in their own water and become soggy. Add the veggies to a real plate and top with the completely cooked meal. Enjoy!

No comments: